We love a bit of Audio Technica tech here at TGR. In fact as I type this the Concrete Genie soundtrack is spinning gleefully in our Audio Technica LP-5 turntable, keeping us company into the small hours. So when we recently got wind of their new streaming headsets, the first to be created with studio-level microphones built in (I know, a headset with a quality mic, not something you tend to see…), we figured we’d share the news with you guys. Read on!
Audio-Technica, a global leader in professional and personal audio technology, is excited to introduce the new ATH-M50xSTS and ATH-M50xSTS-USB streaming headsets.
These models are the world’s first headsets specifically developed to address the needs of live-streaming content creators and will be on display along with Audio-Technica’s complete range of consumer products at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2023.
The headsets are equipped with the same 45mm large-aperture drivers that grace the M50x headphones – long the monitoring choice of top engineers and audio professionals – to provide exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range, with a deep, accurate bass response. The models also come with two sets of distinct earpads: M50x earpads that enhance audio quality and sound isolation, and mesh and leatherette earpads that emphasize breathability and comfort.
However, it’s the microphone design that truly sets these streaming headsets apart. Both models use a cardioid condenser capsule adopted from Audio-Technica’s popular 20 Series microphone designs on a flexible boom arm, allowing for ideal positioning even as you move your head. The result is a rich, studio-quality vocal presence without background noise and a consistent level of output. The mic can be muted quickly and efficiently by simply flipping the boom arm into the up position.
Both models will launch on the 5th of January 2023 and will be available at http://www.audio-technica.com from February 2023, with the ATH-M50xSTS retailing at £169 and the ATH-M50xSTS-USB retailing at £199.
- The legendary studio sound of the ATH-M50x headphones paired with the renowned clarity of Audio-Technica’s 20 Series microphones creates the ideal headset for live streaming.
- Proprietary 45mm large-aperture drivers with rare earth magnets and copper-clad aluminium wire voice coils.
- Exceptional clarity throughout an extended frequency range, with a deep, accurate bass response.
- Cardioid condenser microphone, based on the iconic 20 Series microphones, provides studio-quality articulation and intelligibility.
- A flexible boom arm keeps the mic in position near your mouth, helping to reject background noise and deliver crystal-clear audio. The boom arm flips up to quickly mute the microphone.
- The ATH-M50xSTS is outfitted with a 2 m permanently attached cable with 3.5 mm headphone jack and XLR microphone connector for connection to an audio interface or mixer.
- It comes with two types of interchangeable earpads to emphasize either high fidelity and isolation or breathability and comfort.
ATH-M50xSTS-USB features (as above, plus the following)
- High quality A/D converter with up to 24-bit/96 kHz sampling rate for superb, high-resolution audio.
- Sidetone circuitry lets you hear your voice in the headphones for a more natural, conversational experience.
- It comes with a 2 m (6.6′) permanently attached cable with USB-A connection (and USB-A to USB-C adapter) for plug-and-play connectivity to PCs and Macs.
Pretty cool eh?