Here at The Gaming Review we know that not everyone has the time to search for the latest in gaming news, so that’s why we’ve compiled a list of what we think are the most important stories from over the last week:
- Two Sony patents have been found that could be related to their planned Virtual Reality headset, a rumoured rival to the Oculus Rift.
- Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick has suggested that price drops for next-gen consoles could happen much quicker than they did for the current generation consoles.
- World of Warcraft lost 100,000 subscribers last month, with the total number of subscribers now dropping to 7.6 million, a significant drop from it’s 12 million player peak back in 2010.
- Call of Duty: Ghosts has sold $1 billion into retail for launch, with CoD attempting to take the launch day sales record from Grand Theft Auto V.
- Fans of Call of Duty are outraged that a cutscene featuring in Call of Duty: Ghosts appears to be a cut and paste one found in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
- It’s been revealed that Gran Turismo 6 will have nearly 1200 cars available at launch, with 100 vehicles being entirely new to the series, whereas Forza 5 will only feature around 200 cars at launch, but with an emphasis of quality over quantity.
- Microsoft has revealed Forza 5 will have a day one Car Pass DLC, which covers 6 packs of 10 cars, including the LaFerrari Car Pack that will be available on launch.
- Nintendo has announced that Fire Emblem’s Marth will be among the fighters in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS.
- In a bid to get more indie developers creating games for the Xbox One, Microsoft has announced that Unity will be available for free for registered indie developers.
- Ubisoft has dropped it’s online pass system, after listening to criticism from fans. Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag will no longer feature Ubisofts Uplay Passport system, and the online features are now free of charge.
- Sony have announced that over 300 new titles will be coming to the PS3 over Christmas, despite the imminent arrival of the Playstation 4.
The Humble Bundle has returned this week, supporting the charity We Can Be Heroes, with games from WB Games available:
Pay over $1 for:
- Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
- F.E.A.R 2: Project Origin
- F.E.A.R 3
- Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Pay over the average (currently $4.64) for:
- Scribblenauts Unlimited
- Batman: Arkham City GOTY (review here)
The Humble Weekly Sale this week features games from Daedalic Entertainment:
Pay over $1 for:
- Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
- A New Beginning â€“ Final Cut
- The Whispered World
- The Chronicles of Shakespeare: Romeo & Juliet
- The Chronicles of Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night’s Dream
And pay $6 or more for:
- Journey of a Roach (review coming soon!)
- The Dark Eye â€“ Chains of Satinav
Finally, the top games released this week are:
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Prof. Layton and the Azran Legacy (3DS)
- Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (3DS)
“It’s been revealed that Gran Turismo 6 will have nearly 1200 cars available at launch, with 100 vehicles being entirely new to the series, whereas Forza 5 will only feature around 200 cars at launch, but with an emphasis of quality over quantity.”
Two completely different games on two different consoles. One (GT6) is using the same engine as GT5 and on the same console and therefore the models are easily portable to it. Effectively the only real differences will be the odd track or so, a refined UI and a better track editor etc. But it will be a new skin for GT5 with 1000 nissans.
Forza, new engine and new console. 200 extremely high detailed cars to race and on a next gen console. Hit their launch title target and with DLC to come more cars to be added. Shame more couldn’t be there for launch but how many versions of the same nissan do you need in Forza when you can change paint jobs whenever you like!
I wouldn’t like to imagine how long it’d take to make each of those Forza models… and surely 200 cars enough to be getting on with? Pretty sure I’ve only driven about 100 cars in GT5, if that.